By Angu Lesley
The draws of the 2017-2018 UEFA Champions League staged took place yesterday with some teams meeting familiar opponents and players looking forward to play former teams mates. Sports24cameroon takes a look at some of these incidents.
1. Barcelona have won the Champions League 4 times in the last 12 seasons. Real Madrid are the other team to have won it more than once in the same period (3). What a Spanish battle now contested at the continental stage this day
2). Chelsea have won just one of their five games against Atletico Madrid in European competition D2 L2), and none of the last four. What a l Foe for the Blues.
3. On the last occasion that Man Utd were in a CL group with FC Basel, they were knocked out in at that stage (2011/12). History.
4. This is only the 2nd season that 5 clubs from one nation are in the CL group stage: England in 2017-18 & Spain in 2015-16. Giants
5. Sevilla have only lost two of their last nine Champions League games (W5 D2 L2). Reason why they are the most feared team especially in the UEFA Europa league.
6. Real Madrid have never won to Dortmund away in the Champions League (3 Draws 3 Losses).What a Challenge the defending champions this time around to tumble another record.
7). Barcelona have never won away in European Competition against Juventus (5GP, 2D, 3L). A Nightmare opponent for Barca?.
8). Qarabağ FK will be the first team from Azerbaijan to play the Champions League group phase. Miracle.
9). Liverpool have returned to the Champions League group stages for the first time since the 2014-15 campaign. Fugitive right?
10). The Great Cristiano is the top scorer in the history of the Champions League (105 goals).With Real Madrid, he has found the net 90 times in 88 games.
Born to score goals right?
11) Nemanja Matic would be returning to the Estadio de luge were he went to rejuvenate his career after he was first deem surplus to requirement by Chelsea.
12) Jose Mourinho would be returning to his homeland (Portugal) where he first starred as a manager with Benfica’s Bitter rival FC Porto.
13) Coretin Tolisso would be returning to France after leaving his boyhood club Olympique Lyonais for Bavaria this summer.He would have a personal motivation to hurt PSG given he suffered a trophy free career in France due to the dominance of the Paris Club.
14)Carlo Ancelloti would be returning to the Parc de Prince with Bayern Munchen.The Italian enjoyed a good time at Paris winning the league title
What a clash it would be between Chelsea and Athleti.
14) The big question here is; Would Diego Costa Feature for Chelsea or Athletico Madrid?.
Whichever of this two clubs he features for, he would be facing a former club he left when they needed him most.Athleti and Chelsea fans would love to see him on their team but otherwise he may miss out given Athleti’s Ban.
15) Chelsea Flop Felipe Luis would be returning to Stamford Bridge where he spent one disappointing season but left with a league winners medal.Probably he would want to prove Roman Abrahamovic Wrong in letting him go.
16) Tiago would equally be another former blue returning with the aim of hurting a former employer.
17)Barca vs Juve need no introduction. A Remake of the Champions league final in 2015 and last years semi.
18) What would obviously catch media Attention would be the Giorgio Chellini vs Snare Suarez Meeting.
19) Sami Khedira would be returning to Spain where he won his first league title as a footballer with Real.
20) Shaktar Donetsk vs Man City would see Brazilian midfielder return to the Donbass Arena in Ukraine where he created a good reputation with his tough tackling ability before leaving for the Etihad stadium.
21) Joao Moutinho as a Monaco player would return to the Estadio de Dragao were in Portugal were he first starred for FC Porto.
22)Cameroonian international Vincent Aboubakar would be returning to Turkey against Besiktas where he spent last season on loan and got the goals that helped the club to the league title.
23) Veteran striker Ricardo Quaresma this days in the books of Besiktas would face his boyhood club FC Porto which is one of the many club’s he has played for.
24)Real Madrid vs Dortmund or Otherwise is a group stage pairing for the second season running.
25) P.E Aubameyang has always been in the headlines in Spain every time a transfer window is opened.What a story it would be if he force Real to the banks by scoring against them again this season.
26) Finally Gareth Bale who remains the most expensive exports from British football would return to England to face his former Club Spurs in a well set stage (Wembley)
Good luck to all the club’s and Real Madrid as they look forward to winning the champions league title for the 3rd year in a streak.